Dr Tom Osaze Obaseki to contest for Oredo Local Govt Chairmanship seat
Dr Tom Obaseki, a frontliner of the ruling party in Edo State, All progressive Congress, APC, has disclosed to party leaders and supporters in the state of his intention to Contest the sole ticket of the chairmanship seat of the Oredo local government council, billed for February 2018.
Dr Tom Obaseki made the disclosure at the party’s ward 4 secretariat recently in Benin City. He explained that the need to reposition and transform the council was his motivational factor, and added that, he was in it to consolidate his concerted burning desires to move the state capital to admirable position. According to Dr Tom Obaseki , “My driving force is the desire to service. It is not a desire that was established today but a desire that was incubated for a long time now. So it’s the right time to sit down and put it to work”.
Who is Dr. Tom?
Tom Obaseki is a strategic thinker whose mind is always at work on how to better the lot of the society.
He started his education at St. Peters Primary School (Now Fabiyi Akpata primary School) and then later proceeded to Edo College Benin City and came out in flying colours being one of the only three (3) students in the then Bendel State with all A,s in the WAEC examination in 1984.
He holds a B.Pharm (magna cum laude) Hon degree, a Masters in Business Administration and Doctor of Pharmacy, Pharm.D from the University of Benin.
While in the Pharmacy School, he was an exceptional scholar where he consistently won a prize on a yearly basis throughout his undergraduate studies, a record performance which is yet to be broken. He was also the overall best student in his graduating Pharmacy class and the College of Medical Sciences in 1989.
His record speaks:
- Provost prize for the best overall graduating student in the final year degree examination in the College of Medical Sciences- 1988/89 Academic year.
- Prof Kulkarni Memorial prize for the best overall student in the final B. Pharm degree examination-1988/89 academic year.
- The University of Benin Scholarship award for the best Student-1987/88 academic year.
- Falemi Pharmaceutical Chemist Limited prize for the best student in the first professional B.Pharm examination 1986/87 academic year.
- Family Chemist prize for the best student in Pharmaceutics in the first professional B.Pharm examination 1985/86
How Prepared is Dr. Tom?
Tom believes in the constant “sharpening of the saw” in consequence of which he has attended several capacity building training such as:
- Nominated for training workshop on Engagement and Knowledge Exchange (KE) at the instance of CGE-Nigeria, University of Benin, in collaboration with Lancaster University, United Kingdom as part of the Eco-innovation collaborative initiatives for Academia-Industry-Government triple helix interface. January 2018
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Lagos Business School, October 2016
- Leadership- Managing Teams to Achieve Change, SETYM International, Boston, USA, June 2016
- Capacity Building on modern trends in Environmental Management, Aurecon Pyt, Pretoria, South Africa, April 2016
Strengthening Public Procurement reforms in Abuja, Nigeria, in June, 2015 by World Bank and FGN
- World Bank Procurement/Contract Management Training, World Bank, Abuja. June 2012
- Training on Purchasing, Contracting and Negotiation at Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply, London, September 2011
A Strategic thinker, strong believer in people and a development entrepreneur, Tom possesses top-notch and unparalleled expertise in healthcare administration and management, infrastructural and environmental development and procurement and supply chain management.
Tom is currently undergoing the World Bank Training on Leadership for Management.
Dr Tom General Career Experience
Tom’s career started in pharmaceutical marketing with Glaxo Nigeria PLC, Apapa, Lagos where he was recognized as the fastest Progressive Manager having being promoted to the enviable position of Field Sales Manager in an industry record of 18 months instead of the usual 60 months. His management experience during his working career spans over 25 years and also took him to every part of Nigeria at both middle and senior management levels.
In 1999, he joined Churchbells Pharmaceuticals Limited, Apapa as the Pioneer General Manager which he built from the scratch. During this period, he was involved in the design and description of all jobs, organization structure and then coordinated the Nation-wide clinical trials of the first ever oral artemisinin, (anti malarial drug) to be approved by National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC.
In the Business sector, Tom Obaseki pioneered and birthed the idea of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) applications in Nigeria and organized the first ever VoIP Seminar in Western Africa, in Lagos in July 2001.
The enigma called Tom Obaseki is a masterclass in multi-tasking who has perfected the art of doing strategic top level endeavours without breaking a sweat. He was a business development consultant to Prevalent Systems Limited, during which period he achieved the following;
Conceptualized and developed an Information retrieval system on SMS and Java platform which were marketed to;
- Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to be deployed as an electronic wireless voters’ revalidation application.
- Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) as an electronic License and Vehicle Information System
- Nigeria Police as an electronic Wireless Information System.
He is also the Chairman, School Board of FastTrack Schools (comprising of pre-school, nursery and Primary, WAEC approved International Secondary School) and Net Pharmaceuticals and Stores Limited both situated in Festac Town, Lagos.He is the Secretary Board of trustees, Etinosa Obaseki Memorial Foundation.
As the Chief Executive Officer of Energy Industry Development Initiative, a Non for Profit Organization, Tom Obaseki is involved in working to create the enabling environment to facilitate the increased participation of Nigerians in the challenges and opportunities in the emerging energy sector by initiating strategies that will accelerate and leapfrog Nigeria to attaining energy security within the shortest possible time through different capacity building fora to improve strategic relationship between all stakeholders, local and foreign towards achieving energy security for Nigeria.
Energy Industry Development Initiative Under the leadership of Tom Obaseki hosted the First International Seminar in Africa on Private ownership of modular refineries in Nigeria on November 11, 2008
Oredo Local Government deserves the Best…