Fire gutted a section of the Zenith Bank branch located at Area 7 in Abuja on Monday evening, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.
An eyewitness at the scene, told NAN that the fire started at about 7.35 p. m. due to an electrical fault in the bank.
A NAN correspondent who visited the scene, reports that the fire occurred at the first floor of the bank but was quickly put off by the timely intervention of officials of the fire service.
Mr Victor Erivwode, DPO, Garki told NAN at the scene that his men who were immediately dispatched to the scene helped the fire service to put off the fire as well as to maintain law and order.
“We are here to help the fire service and also to maintain law and order around the bank,’’ he said.
He said that the fire was probably triggered by an electrical fault in the bank, and denied any bomb scare at the premises.
Mr Agba Emmanuel of the Federal Fire Service, told NAN that his men rushed to the scene immediately they got the distress call to put off the fire.
“I cannot tell you details now, but we came immediately we got the distress call and we have been able to put off the fire,’’ he said.
A staff of the bank, who pleaded anonymity, said that the fire could have damaged some computers in the bank.
He praised the efforts of the fire service and security operatives for their prompt response.
NAN reports that heavy security personnel comprising the Nigerian Police, Army, Civil Defence and SSS cordoned off the area while the rescue operation lasted.
It took about two hours for the fire service to completely put out the fire from the bank premises. (NAN)
We enjoin our readers to send their stories/articles/reports, including pictures to email@example.com
Category: Other States